Welcome back guys!
Today we are going to be talking about self tanning and how to stay tan during these winter months. Don’t get us wrong, there is nothing wrong with embracing your natural skin color, but if you want to be tan during the winter months then keep reading!
Self tanning is a great way to get a healthy bronzed glow anytime during the year without exposing your skin to the harshness of the sun. Here are some tips and tricks to help you achieve the perfect glow even in the snow!
First let’s start with the different kinds of self tanner formula you can choose from: mousses, lotions, sprays, wipes, and gels.
Kaylee’s absolute faves are:
- St. Tropez Tanning Bronzing Mousse in Dark
St. Tropez is an iconic self tanner, beauty gurus love it. The dark bronzing mousse gives a very dark, olive-toned tan. There are no traces of orange. It lasts on me about 4-6 days before starting to fade.
- Fake Bake Flawless Darker
Here are Kay’s before (left) and after (right) using the Fake Bake:
Fake Bake has recently and quickly become a favorite of mine. It is so easy to blend and gives a gorgeous color. It lasts a little longer than the St. Tropez so if low maintenance is important to you, this is the one for you. The color isn’t as olive toned as the St. Tropez, it is more warm toned but it gives you a tan that looks like you’ve been tanning in the sun for days, i.e. natural, natural, natural (minus the sun’s damaging effects.
- Playboy Glitz Self Tanning Lotion and Spray
This is an old favorite of mine because it is the darkest out of them all. It is relatively cheaper than the Fake Bake and St. Tropez and has the best color payoff. If you are looking for a really dark tan that looks natural, choose this one. It is definitely one I reach for often.
If you are on a budget, then the Banana Boat Summer Color Self Tanning Lotion is a great option! It gives a relatively darker color and it’s one of the first self tanners I tried.
Tay’s faves are:
- Tarte Brazilliance Skin Rejuvenating Maracuja Self Tanning Lotion
If you have cool or neutral toned skin like me then this self tanner is for you. It leaves you with a glowing tan that is easy to apply. Because of the unusual tone of this tanner, and its compliment to my skin tone, I have not branched out to try others. It lasts for about 4-5 days if you make sure to moisturize!
- Tarte Brazilliance Skin Rejuvenating Maracuja Self Tanning Face Towelettes
OMG guys, trust me these wipes are amazing. If you’re traveling and do not feel like packing your self tanner then these are the wipes for you. These wipes give you the perfect color and believe it or not even out your skin tone and reduce the appearance of pores. I definitely recommend these little wipes!
Tips and Tricks to extend the life of your self tan:
- EXFOLIATE!! I cannot tell you all enough! It is the key to achieving a flawless tan. Exfoliating before you self tan gets rid of dead skin cells. If you don’t exfoliate, your tan will look blotchy due to the unevenness in the skin. The unevenness arises from dry patches in the skin that the tan will unfortunately stick to. Use a body scrub or a loofah to exfoliate. Tay’s favorite for the face is the Clinique 7-Day Scrub. It is gentle and very effective.
- Shave! Shaving before you self tan helps with the exfoliating process. Shaving while you are self tanned shaves some of the color off so you want to do it beforehand.
- Moisturizing is key! Using a body butter or lotion can help prolong your tan. Ultimately you need to moisturize daily. The best times are when you get out of the shower since your skin is still damp and before bed. I love and recommend using cocoa butter.
I also recommend using a gradual self tanner such as Nivea’s or Jergen’s Gradual Self-Tanning Lotion to help prolong your self tan, keep it looking even, and counteract any blotchiness. Just a warning, the Jergen’s does not have the best smell, and it can be overwhelming.
What are your favorite self tanners? What products are you guys in love with and recommend we try ASAP?
Do you have any tips and tricks to extend the life of your tan?